Monday 9 April 2007

Janners




Janners. The term refers to people 'born within 10 miles of the sea', a definition that strikes me as being bizarrely accurate.

I was chatting to a local Plymouth chap recently, and upon proudly announcing his Plymouth ancestory, I said, 'O, so you're a Janner then?'.

The Digger has only lived in the area
for little over a year, so was genuinely surprised to hear him threaten to start throwing things at me. He failed to specify the type of objects he planned to chuck, but I played it safe and apologised for any offence caused. I did however manage to find out what it was that bothered him about a term that I had heard several local Plymothians use to describe themselves with pride.

Seems that the term has been appropriated by students, the middle class and other non-janner groups, and is used as an insult. The 'Chav' phenomenon, a particularly unattractive quality in many fellow Brits that can only be described as hating the poor.

The Digger says stuff em.

Keep it green you crazy Janners!

No comments: